Overview: To prepare for the safest possible return to school for the 2020-21 school year, Covenant Christian Academy has been gathering information from local, state, and federal authorities, the CDC, other health organizations, parents, and staff. Based on careful review and analysis of their guidelines and recommendations, CCA has formulated the following plan. We will be implementing the measures listed below in order to reduce risks and to ensure that all students, staff, and parents can function effectively in a safe environment. Please take time to read this important information so that you can help your student(s) to start the year well! The first day of the 2020-21 school year at CCA will be Thursday, August 6.
Specific Safety Measures
- Deep cleaning of school facilities will be completed prior to opening. Cintas has been contracted to provide for our cleaning needs during the year.
- During school there will be regular cleaning of the lunch areas, water stations, bathrooms, and classrooms, in order to ensure maximum safety and health.
- Signage will be posted prominently and frequent reminders given to students about the importance of hand-washing and social distancing. Compliance will be monitored by administration and staff.
- Availability of touchless hand sanitizer/soap/towel dispensers for washing in classrooms and bathrooms around campus.
- All staff will have and use face masks for protection when in close proximity to students, and all students are encouraged to wear masks. Students should bring their own masks.
- Additional “no-touch” water stations have been installed in each campus building.
- Students should bring and use their own water bottles to school every day.
- During drop-off and pickup, school staff will avoid closing and opening of doors.
- Students whose health or other conditions prevent attendance at school may be provided distance learning options.
- Employing social distancing whenever possible: between teachers and classes and among students.
- Fresh air – as weather permits, teachers will open doors and windows to allow circulation of fresh air.
- Whenever possible, all desks/chairs will be facing the same direction to avoid students sitting across from one another.
- Limiting partner and group work in class.
- Removal of extra desks/chairs/other furniture from classrooms.
Limiting Large Group Gatherings
- Open House will be split into multiple sessions (elementary, middle school, high school) to provide more space and less congestion on campus.
- Chapel will begin on the first Wednesday in September (9/2).
- For chapels, there will be a minimum of 6 feet of distance between grade levels. Chapel times will be shorter than usual with no corporate singing, in order to minimize health risks.
- Before school drop-off: students can still be dropped off at school from 7:30 on. Students will be placed in the cafeteria (elementary) or the gymnasium (MSHS) before dismissal to class, in order to provide maximum spacing.
- The library will not be available for elementary class visits until further notice.
- Lunches: For health reasons, there will be no catering or lunches provided. Students should bring their own lunches and utensils to school. No microwaves or refrigeration will be available.
- Lunch schedule: To start the school year, there will be a modified schedule. Students will be monitored by teachers. Weather permitting, students may be allowed to eat outside.
- Lunchroom: There will be more distancing between tables used by students. Additional use of the side door will permit safer entrance and exit.
- Recess – There will be stricter limits on the number of elementary classes allowed on the playground at any one time and also the number of classes in the gym.
- Field Trips – scheduling will depend on current health conditions.
- Athletic teams – students will not be participating in fall sports.
- Directional flow: whenever possible during the school day, the doors in Building 2 and 3 doors facing the parking lot will be open for freer and safer flow of students between buildings.
- Staff will monitor the number of students in hallways at one time.
- Only one elementary class in the hallway at a time. No gathering of students in hallways for water fountains or restrooms.
- Teachers will notify office ahead of time if a student needs his/her temperature taken.
- Students who are sick will be kept safe in an isolation room to limit possible infection of others.
- The school has clear expectations for parents to ensure that students are healthy before attending school, keeping them home if sick, and providing a doctor’s note if a student has Covid-19.
- Those who have a fever (100 or higher) or experience other serious symptoms will go home, as in the past. A parent must confirm with the school that the student has been fever free for the last 24 hours and does not have Covid-19 or other symptoms, prior to returning.
- Cleansing of office, classroom, and other areas will occur if anyone with Covid-19 symptoms has been identified in that location.
- There will be a limiting of visitors to campus in order to reduce the risk of infection.
- For dropping off materials, lunches, etc., a cart will be placed at the curb by the office.
- If needed, early transitions to and from class are permissible for students most at risk.
If you have questions about this information, please contact us. We welcome your ongoing prayers for our students, staff, and parents. Thanks very much for your tremendous support, partnership, and involvement in your children’s education. We value you and everyone in this school community committed to following Jesus in building God’s Kingdom.
As Colossians 2:2-4 states, may our “hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ,in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”
Covenant Christian Academy – Parent Expectations
As parents seeking to bring up children in accord with biblical standards, CCA families will, with the help of God:
- Have student(s) regularly attend school, complete assignments to the best of their ability, and support the school in its policies
- Ensure that the student(s) is healthy each day before attending school
- Keep the school informed promptly of any illness or other health concerns, particularly if there are Covid-19 symptoms
- Make sure that students are symptom free for a minimum of 24 hours before returning to school
- Provide a doctor’s note allowing a safe return to school if a student has had Covid-19
- Make all payments of fees, registration, and/or tuition as agreed upon
- Participate with my family in regular Sunday worship
- Have my family gather around God’s Word on a regular basis
- Pray for my child/children, their teacher, our school and our nation